A surprising day - Paeroa

Can you believe it, 3 nights & 4 days in one place! The day starts early when you’re parked behind town. The busy bees are buzzing around, getting all the systems in place for the days trade.

A bit more about that famous bottle


I had planned to go to the maritime museum today, but some surprising things happened instead.
A lady I had met recently in Thames, showed up where I’m parked. She isn’t at all well & needed a bit of a hand.

Another lady I met the day before, has a dog almost identical to Lexi, that she’s giving away, to get a big dog to protect her from harm. I felt really sorry for the dog & wanted it to live with me But! It’s taken two days of careful thought, to make the hard decision to walk away from it.

Meet  Peaches

Peaches needs to go to the vet straight away, for eye  infections, fleas, & vaccinations. She’s the sweetest little dog, & I’ve been walking her.

It’s the hardest thing in the world to put common sense & thinking before emotion. Right now, the option of having a dog, doesn’t fit into my budget all all. 

She’s about 8 years old, so the vet is going to be coming into her life more & more as she ages. Much like us I guess 😂

So I’m moving off to a new place today, to be away from that situation & rest my heart, from the hurt of that.

How thoughtful!

Yesterday someone else knocked on my door & asked if they could come in & I said no, before I saw that it was an elderly gentleman, & then invited him in. He looked like he might  keel over at any moment , & was a bit wobbly on his pins.

He reckoned he is an organic scientist, & told me all about his life’s work, over a couple of hours. Turns out he’s 95! Camping in a Ford Transit van that he’s converted himself. 

I found the river

The old wharf is gone now

His wife died off massive heart attack in November he said, & he needs people to talk to. Fair enough, we all need that from time to time eh. I had to kick him out at sunset tho, as it was getting really cold with all the windows & vents open, after airing the truck out in the sun all day.
Funny the people you meet on the road.

A gorgeous homestead in the distance

This town has many different facets to it. Loads of businesses have L & P advertising on them, while nek minit...farm equipment, then antique stores.

Limes I think, planted for the public, are all over the place. Grapefruit trees too

The town is an oxymoron  all by itself. It’s a mash up of rural, travellers, small town, arts, professional & antiquity. It’s full of carvings, stone sculptures & just stone lumps. Odd, quirky & interesting.

A cute little shed

Where history & modernity collide & scatter randomly across a kind of mazed grid. A Very eclectic mix, & well worth a browse. The antique shops sell some real treasures here, at pretty decent prices, I think. (I’m no expert)

Some of the towns history in a business window

 I’m getting fit & no mistake!

I loved this plaque, on the side of the courthouse I’m guessing. 

Definitely a town to explore over a week or so.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sad Day

Amping it Up

A Pictorial trucks eye view of Benneydale & surrounding area