A hop to Thames

Before I left I had a wee walk & came across something you’ll only find in New Zealand. A pair of Skellerup red band gumboots, lying outside a Motorhome. Now any good farmer or the like, knows that if you lie your gumboots down, they’re liable to end up wet inside, or worse, a new home for spiders,mice etc. Mildly bemused, I went on my merry way, stopping at a couple of small settlements along State Highway 26, or SH26 we say here.

Said boots

Just out of Paeroa, I just Had to stop, & take a pic of the breathtakingly beautiful mountains. I could only get one decent pic, what with power lines, they still exist here! And other modern day nuisances, that like to take center stage in my shots.

Just stunning isn’t it

The first stop along the way was at Hikutaia, where there is a military memorial, that I drove back to especially to see. A bit of a disappointment that, as a sign says no campervan. Then I wandered (carefully) across a cattle stop, being bars over a shallow pit at the gate, to stop the stock getting out of the designated area, that they’re Supposed to reside in until further notice. Anyhoo the memorial turned out to be on the gate! That was all there was 😂 

A gorgeous old church, complete with lichen. I’m lichen it 😂 

I stopped in Puriri for a moment, & took a couple of pics of nostalgic New Zealand, for you. People were taking kids to school so it must have been almost 9am. I like to travel early, so I can park up & settle in to my next spot early in the day. That way I’m assured of getting a place, where I want to stay. It’s campervan eat campervan out there! 

Then there was the original store. Just look at that lacework!

After driving through two lots of pea soup fog I arrived at a favourite spot & met a neat lady with black shaved hair with the top of it painted/dyed a red top. Reminded me of someone I know 🤔 

And the original hotel

She has an awesome story to tell, while helping me pull out my battery tray from under the truck. It’s heavy as! As what I’m not sure, but I couldn’t even get it to squeak, let alone come out so I could check them all. While backing in my battery light came on. Rut roh...Tyres are supposed to be next on the gift list, not batteries. I’ll have to keep an eye on that going into winter. Hmph, is all I have to say about that!

The hall

And a lovely old house in great condition

I saw this cool thing while walking just out of Thames

And the nicer view where I was parked.  Poverty was in evidence as well, sadly.

I took the chance to do the memorial walk, that I hadn’t had time to do last time I was here too

One of the interesting thing about this place, is that it’sa place of liaisons. Some have a feeling of secrets, some business & some of love. It’s interesting being a white fly on the proverbial wall. There’s also an element of crime in the wings. As cars come in & just sit, waiting for the cover of darkness, when the sounds of gravel crunching behind the truck, in the tidal ditch behind us, suddenly erupt. In the murky shade of trees, being the darkness of day, they carry out their plots & plans, seemingly unknown, & yet obvious to the discerning eye.


And it’s off again, into the wild, to see what I can see. Chat soon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sad Day

Amping it Up

A Pictorial trucks eye view of Benneydale & surrounding area