Tutira to Napier

Travelling to Napier from Wairoa proved to be an easier eventful trip. I take my time, so I can smell the roses, so to speak, & also because my dear old girl is very heavy & doesn’t stop quickly. The momentum she builds up going downhill is astounding. She’s almost 5 tonne loaded, & that’s nearly a class 2 license, for those who aren’t familiar. I just lack the size & big shiny wheels. She’s a truck the size of a furniture removal truck without a trailer.


Cute eh!

I stopped a lot on this trip, because New Zealand in history presents itself well in this part of the journey. 


Reflecting on the farms I saw, tucked way up in the alpine like conditions, isolated on seemingly barren hills, I have to take my hat off to our farmers! Those guys do a stellar job growing out sheep, beef, goats, & sometimes turkeys 😂




Farming away quietly

How cute is that beige playhouse!

A Harsh but beautiful climate

Way up high above the clouds

 I had all my winter gear on! Winter merino, including leggings, puffer jacket, & I could easily have added my possum beanie! It was Cold! I was staggered once more at the height of our hills! Hundreds of feet in the air, I climbed slowly Down into the cloud! 


So grateful to have the exhaust brake to slow the engine down, around the many 25 & 35km hairpin bends, as I zig zagged my way down. The ascent is easy, with a 4.2L engine. Only in a few places did I almost need to change down to second gear.


Made back to civilisation, after stopping at Tutira for lunch. It’s a DOC (dept of conservation) reserve that I’ll stay at another time, complete with a huge walnut tree left to us by our English ancestors, complete with swans, sheep, wooden tree sculptures that someone has carved with a chainsaw, & no cell phone service at all. A good place to rest the mind & body. No swimming there tho sadly, not that I am now I’m in the frozen south 😂 The lake has “duck itch”, whatever that is. So bring your guitar & your peace signs, & we’ll sing folk songs around the massive table by the lake, that’s kindly been installed for us. No fires allowed. 


It’sa huge area for camping. Perfect for a peaceful retreat


Ghost trees in the water


Lunch break for him too



The long & winding road 🎶 



Swans just swanning around

I pressed on to Napier, as I like to finish driving by 2pm, so I can A. Get a good place to park up, & B. sew fora few hours. The goals are much more in reach now, with only a four hour  drive (by car) to Wellington, & the top part of my costume 1/3rd made. I plan to be there by Thursday, all going well. 

Today I’ll stay put & get the sewing done, to take the pressure of me, & rest. I might even get to look around a bit & stay at another place on the app, that has good reviews.




I’m Greatly enjoying the crashing waves & power activity here. It’s a buzzing place! Time to check the tyre pressures & the oil again. The old girl is doing pretty well now she’s had some love, I have to say. Interestingly the tyre guy told me my tyres had a dangerous amount of pressure in them, for the type of vehicle & tyres. I asked him why & he said if I have a blowout at that pressure 80lbs on the front & 75lb rear twin , it would be very dangerous. 
He deflated them to 60lb all round & told me to see how they ride. They’re great 👍 And he said I’d need new ones on the front very soon. First person to tell me those things. Hard to trust the word of professionals when they all differ eh


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sad Day

Amping it Up

A Pictorial trucks eye view of Benneydale & surrounding area