Ruakuri Cave Waitomo

The caves have been on my bucket list since forever, so I decided to bite the bullet & dive in for the experience. Sadly some of the iSites here are closed since covid, but a friendly guy who was weedeating told me to skip the Waitomo one, which is centered around glow worms primarily, & go for the Ruakuri experience, which is better value for money he said. He’s also a tour guide it turns out πŸ˜‚ 

Ruakuri = Den of two dogs

At this stage I became a little concerned that my war wounds were going to stifle my intentions, but it turned out well in the end πŸ˜… We walked for a total of 5 kilometers underground, over varying surfaces, mostly lit up for us. 

I went for a wee walk beforehandπŸ˜‚ 




Tiny waka- canoe





7 of us descended into the bowels of the earth


Our descent 60 meters beneath the hill via a spiral concrete pathway, of 5 levels


Stalactites take 100 years to grow 1cm



Fossils of scallops


A heavenly reflection in a still pool of acidic water 



Curtain


Iron in the yellow bit




A very large curtain

There were stalactites & stalagmites & curtains, columns & water, Lots of water. Changes in color, texture & size. Rooms & towers, vast drops into the depths & low ceilings. You name it, the cave probably had it. All 7 of us got a good work out today! No heater needed, by the time we got back to the top, on foot the whole tour.

A Huge oyster fossil

It was indeed a bucket list experience, that I’m grateful was half price during the week. We heard the black water rafting group too, but I’m glad I never got around to doing that, in the  blackness of the earth. 

Dry stone that’s no longer forming

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amping it Up

Huia Museum

Atiamuri Village